Jættestue (passage grave)
The chamber of the passage grave is built up of 10 supporting stones and 3 cap stones and has a 4 metre long narrow passageway leading east, with a cap stone preserved innermost towards the chamber.
The passage grave was excavated and restored in 1914 and it was discovered that large stones several metres in height had stood around the location of the original burial mound, segregated by a dry wall and covered with large horizontal stones. These stones had formed a kind of shelf around the mound. Many hundreds of years later when the mound's soil had subsided and covered all the stones, the burial mound was built up to increase its size and a fresh row of smaller circle stones were placed on top of the old ones. Among these stones was a cresset stone with 15 cup marks and some figures interwined with one another; this can be seen today in the National Museum.
The passage grave was used for burials during three historical periods with intervals of 1000 yaers. A one centimetre layer of completely decomposed skeletal fragments was found on the floor of the chamber along with 75 amber beads. One thousand years later these had been covered with a layer of earth 20-40 cm thick and on top of this new corpses had been buried, along with various objects including 8 flint daggers. During the late Bronze Age this passage grave was used as a burial place for the last time. This time it was an urn with traces of burnt bone and some bronze jewellery; these were buried in the mound right next to the passageway. The mound is not excavated completely so there are without a doubt more urn graves. It was last restored in 1990. - Don't forget to bring a torch!