The castle is best known for the fact that the right of use in 1935 was given to the late King Frederik and Queen Ingrid. In the summer time, as the castle is occupied in about three weeks of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik. Only Gråsten castlegarden- and Church is open for the public.
In the 3 weeks every summer there is a sentry relief every day at 12 noon. On Fridays, the relief starts at 11.30 at the Gule Palæ and proceeds through the village accompanied by music.
Old hunting Castle:
The very first Gråsten was a hunting and leisure castle built in the mittle of the 16th century. After it burned down in 1603, a new castle was built, probably where the current castle´s south wing is now. Shortly before 1700 the Chancellor Frederik Ahlefeldt built an impressive Baroque castle, which itself unfortunaly burned down in 1757. The current Gråsten castle, or rather the south wing, thus originates fra 1759. In 1842 the main buiding was added.
Last updated bySønderborg Erhvervs- og Turistcenter email@example.com
- only access to castle garden
City / Area
- coach/truck parking
- dogs allowed
- packed lunch allowed
CoordinatesLongtitude : 9.595599
Latitude : 54.926029