Skærup Church was built in a Roman style. The church was mentioned for the first time in the early twelfth century. During a restoration in the 1880s, the nave and chancel of the church were rebuilt with square granite boulders from the old church. The Late Middle Age western tower is the oldest part of the church. The oldest furniture in the church is the Roman font. The beautifully carved late gothic Maria altarpiece is from around year 1500.
The culpit with the four evangelists is from the fifteenth century. In the altar cover plate, you will see a reliquary.
Of special interest in Skærup Church are the sepulchral monuments in the tower room. The four corpse trees from the fifteenth century mark the deceased members of the Hansen family. The male members of the family were bailiffs in Holmann’s district and the family thus belonged to the well-to-do classes among the church members. Originally, the monuments marked the graves of the dead, who were likely to be buried underneath the church floor.
Last updated byVisitVejle firstname.lastname@example.org
City / Area
Museums, Galleries and crafts
- access by appointment only
CoordinatesLongtitude : 9.598552
Latitude : 55.649508