Tårnborg Hill

The earliest reference to Tårnborg is in 1164, so it is an early medieval coastal defence. The history of Tårnborg is steeped in dramatic events. In 1289, the castle was captured by outlaw Marsk Stig, and in 1326 it was besieged again, this time by rebellious noblemen. The castle was abandoned in the early 15th century, when the king, Eric of Pomerania (1412–1439), had a new castle built close to Korsør.

This small but sturdy keep was built on a high hill near Korsør Nor (cove). A church, which is still in use, was built directly opposite it. Little remains of the castle, which comprised a square ring wall measuring approximately 30 x 30 m around a central tower measuring 8 x 8 m. Within the ring wall, there were three small buildings, presumably simple half-timbered houses. In medieval times, the town of Tårnborg occupied the fields to the south and east of the church.

The bay to the east of the path leading to the cove formed an ideal natural harbour for typically shallow-draft medieval ships. In the flat area along the bay, there was once a dense settlement of small half-timbered houses, cobbled courtyards and fieldstone wells. Trade and craftsmanship played a key role. The town once covered 6 ha.

Opening hours

01/01/2012 - 31/12/2012 Monday - Sunday

Share this page

Last updated by

VisitVestsjælland A/S info@visitvestsjaelland.dk



Marsk Stigs Vej 65
4220 Korsør


+45 70252206


  • Facilities

    • Coach park



Longitude : 11.188715
Latitude : 55.35061