In 1734 the Royal architect Lauritz de Thurah built the Hermitage Palace for Denmark's King Christian VI, which is one of the greatest late Baroque works in Denmark.
After an extensive renovation in 2013, the palace is now open for public tours during the summer months of July and August.
Surrounded by the lush forest of Dyrehaven, north of Copenhagen, the palace has a fantastic view over the waters of Øresund.
The palace was never built as a residence, but to be used for royal hunts. To this day, it is still used for the annual Hubertus hunt and by the royal family on occasions such as official visits from abroad.
The Hermitage Table
Along the south gable the beautiful staircase covered in tiles with hunting motifs. The bel etage houses the grand dining hall, richly decorated in marble, plaster, mirrors and marbled wood.
The two southern cabinets are in expressive late Baroque style, whilst the the king’s and queen’s rooms, are in Rococo style. In 1736 Johan Jeremias Reusse, constructed a mechanical table, the famous Hermitage table.
This allowed the beautifully laid table to be hoisted through a hatch in the dining room floor, making it possible for the royals to dine without servants, or in French en hermitage, giving the palace its name.
Due to several mechanical difficulties, the table was removed entirely at the end of the 1700s.
Please note: The castle is only open for guided tours booked in advance online. For more info see the website.
Admission: 125.00 DKK
Last updated byWonderful Copenhagen email@example.com
City / Area
CoordinatesLongitude : 12.571749687
Latitude : 55.795153702