Vor Frue Kirke - Church of Our Lady
Vor Frue Kirke in Aalborg was originally a part of the Benediktiner abbey from around 1100. The only remains are the stone carvings in the west gable. The church is open every day and you are welcome to visit the church all week days between 10 and 14 and Saturday between 10 and 12.
The present building is from 1878 as they “at last” torn the originally church down as it was decrepit. There had already been more steps in this torn-down process. The first was proposed by Valdemar Atterdag in 1361.
The tower at Vor Frue Kirke
The tower is maintained but was facing with the same stone as the church was build of. The same goes for the Scheelske chapel. The Pentzske chapel was rebuilt and the remains – a beautiful epitaphs from 1615 – from the third chapel was placed here.
A huge part of the fixture comes from the original church, except the Alter which burned in 1902 and was replaced in 1908.
The church has room for 600 people.