In 1734 the Royal architect Lauritz de Thurah built the Hermitage Palace for Christian VI, which is one of the greatest late Baroque works in Denmark.
Surrounded by the lush forest of Dyrehaven, north of Copenhagen, the palace has a fantastic view over the waters of Øresund.
The palace was never built as a residence, but to be used for royal hunts. To this day, it is still used for the annual Hubertus hunt.
The Hermitage Table
Along the south gable the beautiful staircase covered in tiles with hunting motifs. The bel etage houses the grand dining hall, richly decorated in marble, plaster, mirrors and marbled wood. The two southern cabinets are in expressive late Baroque style, whilst the the king’s and queen’s rooms, are in Rococo style. In 1736 Johan Jeremias Reusse, constructed a mechanical table, the famous Hermitage table. This allowed the beautifully laid table to be hoisted through a hatch in the dining room floor, making it possible for the royals to dine without servants, or in French “en hermitage”, giving the palace its name. Due to several mechanical difficulties, the table was removed entirely at the end of the 1700s.
The Hermitage Palace is still used by the royal family on occasion such as official visits from abroad. The palace is closed to the public, but it is worth taking a stroll in the beautiful forest and admiring the exterior of the building.
|13/03/2011 - 31/12/2020||Monday - Sunday||-|
Last updated byWonderful Copenhagen firstname.lastname@example.org
CoordinatesLongtitude : 12.4949429
Latitude : 55.763516
TrainLine C Klampenborg St.