”The old houses” – The open-air museum in Maribo.
In 1923 a meeting took place close to the lake called Søndersø. This lake is situated on the outskirts of the town of Maribo. The posterity should count itself lucky for this meeting. By the meeting Mr. Alex Holck, the district revenue officer and chairman of Lolland-Falster’s diocese museum, had called Mr. Victor Kolbye, the manager of Maribo Sugar Factory, up. The chairman of the diocese museum wanted to persuade the manager of the sugar factory that an open-air museum should be built on the local place. The area was owned by the Danish sugar factories, but the resolute district revenue officer persuaded Mr. Kolbye about his idea. From now on it went fast. Mr. Holck was busy, because different kinds of agreements and negotiations about possessions, destructions, removals and constructions of buildings had to be done. In 1924 the first building construction elements began to arrive to the area, where upon the work of construction could be begun. It was not some kind of easy work Mr Holck had plunged into, but gradually the area by the lake began to look like the open-air museum, which Mr. Holck had dreamed of for many years. 3½ years after the meeting between Mr. Holck and Mr. Kolbye the museum was consecrated by the name “The old houses”. The museum opened in 1927 with its then seven houses, but since that time many changes have taken place. During the years more houses have been built.Today the museum has 16 buildings, which altogether tell the story about the way of building and the way of living on the country on Lolland and Falster from the end of the sixteenth century until the First World War. The houses are situated on a fantastic area with small gardens, corners and lawns, which all contribute to make the experience complete. Today there are such different kinds of buildings as a school, a four wing farm, a forge, and a forest supervisor house, different kinds of small cottages, an engine house, a beehive and a stubble mill. In the autumn of 2009 the mill was taken down in order to be repaired. The mill will be set up again in the spring of 2010.
Around the houses there are different kinds of old plays, which can be used by the guests of the museum.
In selected periods different sides of the museum are vitalized. During the year the museum holds many greater and smaller arrangements on the area. In the season there are different kinds of initiatives concerning propagation. Please look for more details on the homepage of the museum on the link www.museumlollandfalster.dk.
Since 1927 the open-air museum has belonged to the former diocese museum of Lolland-Falster. From the first of January 2009 the diocese museum of Lolland-falster has become a part of the former Guldborgsund Museum and today it is called Museum Lolland-Falster. For this reason the open-air museum is also part of this new common museum.
|01/05/2013 - 30/09/2013||Tuesday - Sunday||10:00 - 16:00|
Last updated byBusiness LF firstname.lastname@example.org
- activities for children
City / Area
- Sealand, Møn, Lolland-Falster
- number of persons for group pricing (10)
- coach/truck parking
- dogs allowed
Museums, Galleries and crafts
- active sharing
- museum shop
- offers live demonstrations
- open-air museum
- packed lunch allowed
CoordinatesLongtitude : 11.507370000
Latitude : 54.774717