Langemark Smedje

From the earliest times, each village had its smithy. It was a place where people gathered and chatted while the blacksmith shoed a horse or a forged a tool.

The last blacksmith in Langemark, Ole Dam, inherited the smithy from his father in 1928. After approx. 60 years of service he gave it to the Samsø Ecomuseum. It was not so simple, because it turned out that the blacksmith only owned the building, not the land it stood on. The land belonged to “townsfolk”.

Far back in history, perhaps since the village emerged, local peasants jointly owned the land to ensure that they would always have a blacksmith in their midst. Today a guild of volunteer blacksmiths works in the old smithy.

Besides the traditional blacksmith craft is also given occasional samples of forging in Viking and medieval times.

Opening hours
01/06/2012 - 31/08/2020 SamsøTuesday -

Last updated by

Samsø Erhvervs- og Turistcenter visitsamsoe@samsoe.dk
 

Contact

Address

Tværvej 36
8305 Samsø

Phone

+45 86592150

Facilities

  • City / Area

    • Samsø

Find routes

Find a route to this destination

From

Transport

  • Coordinates

    Longtitude : 10.623545000
    Latitude : 55.844792