The Church of our Lady

© VisitAarhus

The Church of Our Lady
The monastery here was set up by Dominican monks and was first mentioned in 1246 but was probly established in 1227. The Church of Our Lady now occupies the south wing og the relatively well preserved monatery buildings.
 
The church was originally called Skt. Nicolai Church and can tracked back to ca. 1000 on the basis of discovery of the crypt in the 1950s. There are three separate auditoria: the great central nave, the Chapel in the crypt, and the Abbey Church.
 
Built in 1060, the Crypt is the oldest ecclesiastical building in Aarhus, as well as being the oldest arched space in Scandinavia.
 
It's possible to get guided tours if you contact the church office.
 
On Sundays and holidays only opened for churchgoers.

Opening hours
01/09/2013 - 30/04/2014 AarhusMonday - Friday10:00 - 14:00
01/09/2013 - 30/04/2014 AarhusSaturday10:00 - 12:00
01/05/2014 - 31/08/2014 AarhusMonday - Friday10:00 - 16:00
01/05/2014 - 31/08/2014 AarhusSaturday10:00 - 14:00
01/09/2014 - 30/04/2015 AarhusMonday - Friday10:00 - 14:00
01/09/2014 - 30/04/2015 AarhusSaturday10:00 - 12:00

Last updated by

VisitAarhus info@visitaarhus.com
 

Contact

Address

Vestergade 21
8000 Aarhus C

Phone

+45 86121243

Fax

+45 86121625

Facilities

  • City / Area

    • Aarhus

Find routes

Find a route to this destination

From

Transport

  • Coordinates

    Longtitude : 10.204864
    Latitude : 56.157801