Hjerl Hede Open Air Museum – living history
History - Editorial
How much do you know about your Danish heritage and where your Danish ancestors came from? Maybe you have a Danish-sounding surname such as Hansen, Nielsen or Christiansen?
Having Danish roots is much more unusual than having German, Irish or Italian roots. The total number of immigrants is low compared to many other ethnic groups, and the Danes often settled quickly into the American melting pot society.
Royal Copenhagen – The royal Porcelain factory
The meaning of common Danish family names
Kronborg Castle – Home of Hamlet
There's a little bit of Viking in all of us. Young and old, we all share a fascination with the Vikings, their history and their way of life. So whether you want to try your hand at Viking life or immerse yourself in Viking history and culture, Denmark offers it all.
The Viking age
Shopping, sightseeing, eating, partying... you can do it all in 48 hours in Copenhagen.
Aalborg: Denmark's laid-back city
At the heart of Denmark
The perfect location
- Stride out on Denmark’s widest beach on the holiday island of Rømø
- See history come alive at the annual ring riding festival in Sønderborg, a medieval jousting sport enjoying a revival
- Visit Bornholm’s four impressive round churches
- Walk the stunning, white-sand beach at Dueodde
- Cycle around the island on disused railway cycle routes
- Taste delicious smoked fish in the picturesque towns of Svaneke and Gudhjem
- Wonder at Egeskov Castle, Europe's best preserved Renaissance moat castle
- Explore the cathedral city and birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen, Odense
- Go island hopping in the South Funen Archipelago
- Visit the quaint cobbled town of Ærøskøbing