Amalienborg is considered one of the greatest works of Danish Rococco architecture and was constructed in the 1700's.
It is made up of four identical buildings - The Christian VII’s Palace is also known as Moltke’s Palace, The Christian VIII’s Palace is also known as Levetzau’s Palace, The Frederik VIII’s Palace is also known as Brockdorff’s Palace and The Christian IX’s Palace or Schack’s Palace –spread around the octagonal courtyard.
This is the main residence of Her Majesty the Queen. When the flag is raised, it signals that the Queen is present.
Open to the Public
Today audiences can visit two of the four palaces: Christian VIII's palace, which is partially organized as a museum for the Glücksburg royal family and Christian VII's palace, which is used by the Queen for receiving guests and official representatives.
In the centre of the courtyard there is an equestrian statue of King Frederik V and it is considered one of the most outstanding equestrian statues in the world. The statue was unveiled in 1771 - five years after King Frederik V's death in 1766.
The Royal Guard
Amalienborg is also known for the Danish Royal Guard, who patrol the palace grounds.
The Danish Royal Guard march from Rosenborg Castle at 11:30 daily through the streets of Copenhagen, and execute the changing of the guard in front of Amalienborg Palace at 12:00.
When the Queen is in residence the guard is accompanied by the Royal Guards music band.
Last updated byWonderful Copenhagen firstname.lastname@example.org
City / Area
- København (indre by)
- Saint Hannes Cross
- handicap friendly
CoordinatesLongtitude : 12.593056
Latitude : 55.684028