Helenes Hus (Helenes House)

Photo: VisitHerning
Attractions
Museums
Helene's house is the last remaining of 6 workhouses in the area called "Sammel-sted by". The houses were built for the poorest in the community of Øre parish in the years after 1815. The purpose was that the poor should help with the cultivation of the moor in the area.   
Address

Sammelstedvej 15

7400 Herning

The first house was build for the gypsy, Johs. Axelsen and his family and was called Axelhus. In 1917, the blicher memorial stone was placed on the site of Axelhus, in memory of St. St. Blicher, who placed the action in his novel "Keltringliv" (Scoundrel life) on Ørre Hede. 

Helene's house was occupied until 1989 and is now run by Herning Municipality. In the preserved workhouse there is an exhibition about the poor-community's history.

Helenes Hus is closed from 1 November - 1 April every year.  

Address

Sammelstedvej 15

7400 Herning

Opening hours

01 Apr 20 / 31 Oct 20

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

01 Apr 21 / 31 Oct 21

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

01 Apr 22 / 31 Oct 22

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

More ideas

Last updated by