Ulsted church is beautifully situated on a hill on the outskirts of the town of Ulsted and it is surrounded by lush nature on all sides. The church dates from the 11th century and the chancel and nave are built of granite.
Facts about Ulsted Church
There are approx. 1000 granite ashlars. It is assumed that the blocks were shaped on site and that all ashlars were shaped on 5 sides. It has been estimated that it would take one man 40 hours with a pick hammer to create an ashlar block - and it split or was malformed he had to start over.
With around 1000 granite ashlar blocks in the church this would sum up to around 40,000 hours of work - at least 20 years - just for just one man to form the ashlars. In addition, the effort to put the stones together and build them into a church also has to be accounted for – all this without mechanical aid. Since its erection several additions have been made to the church. In the 1400s a large side wing on north side of the church was added.
The church bells
There were originally two bells for the church, but in 1529 one of them had to be handed over to King Frederik the First. He needed it in order to cast cannons and cannonballs from it. The old bell is from 1478 and the new bell is from 1937. The hourly ringing of the bells is done mechanically. The ringing at religious ceremonies was done by hand up until a few years ago. Today, it has been automated.
The church is simple with whitewashed walls and a flat ceiling with old, exposed oak beams. The floor of the aisle is made of yellow, octagonal and red, square bricks – all of which were handmade in the 1890s at a small, local brick factory outside Ulsted. The chancel arch was made the same time as the oldest parts of the church and made of granite.