The church, which bears the name of Sct. Laurentii,Saint Laurence, the seafarer's guardian saint, was probably buildt in the second half of the 14th century and was at that time the largest church in the region of Vendsyssel.
The sand drift started around 1600 and reached the church at the end of the 18th century. The congregation had to dig their way into the church when they wanted to attend the services.
The struggle against the sand continued untill 1795 when the church was closed by royal decree.
Today only the tower of the ancient church is visible.