Summer resident of the royal family
Graasten Palace is best known as the summer resident of the royal family.
The very first palace in Graasten was a hunting and leisure palace built in the midst of the 16th century. After it burned down in 1603, a new palace was built, probably where the current palace´s south wing is now.
Shortly before 1700 the Chancellor Frederik Ahlefeldt built an impressive Baroque palace, which itself unfortunately burned down in 1757, only leaving the palace church. The current Graasten Palace, or rather the south wing, thus originates from 1759. In 1842 the main building was added.
In 1935 the right of use of the palace was given to the late King Frederik and Queen Ingrid. Queen Ingrid was very interested in flowers and stood for the planning of the garden at Graasten Palace until her death in 2000.
There is no public access to the buildings and rooms of the palace, except from the palace church, who has special opening hours.
When the royal family is in residence at Graasten Palace, the area is closed to the public and there is no access to Graasten Palace Gardens and Church; However, the Palace Church is still open in connection with the summer evening song etc.
2023: This page will be updated as soon as information is available about the time of royal summer residence at the palace.