©  Photo:

Baptismal font

Artist: Hermann Ernst Freund (1786 - 1840)

The baptismal font was erected in 1838, replacing a carved wooden baptismal font. Since then - after 1979 - the marble font has been moved down to the front of the church and replaced by the old granite font from St. Nicolai Church (the one demolished near the Bell Tower). The baptismal font was commissioned and donated by agent Simon Hempel Ploug.

The baptismal font has reliefs with motifs from the baptism of Jesus.

Freund received the commission in 1828, when he visited his friend in Faaborg, Jørgen Ploug, son of the agent, on his way home from Italy to Copenhagen.
The original model dates from 1836 and is in the Glyptoteket.