©  Photo:

Sjørslev Kirke

Until 1954, Sjørslev church was part of the Aunsbjerg Estate. When the ashlar church was built in the Romanesque period in around 1130, it consisted only of a chancel and a nave.

Sjørslev Church

In 1544, Steward of the Realm Mogens Gøye, the owner of Aunsbjerg, carried out major renovation and modernisation of the church. It is assumed that the large square tower was also built by the estate owner. Again in 1768 and later, major restoration work was carried out on the exterior and the interior of the church. The baptismal font is especially interesting. It is believed to be from 1123–45. The font is decorated with two double lions sharing a man’s head.

#visitsilkeborg #visitaarhusregion